Monday, October 29, 2012

Before the power goes out due to Sandy...

I decided  to write a quick post since we will most likely lose power and Internet for a while because of the current hurricane and it has been a while since I last posted. I started to write a post about Felt United a while ago but never got back to it. I will finish it later since it was getting to be philosophical and I want to be able to think about it more than I can with the wind howling. I will just share some photos of felt finished since then. 
I finished the piece for the Granby Land Trust show. It was declined. I have had that happen enough with various shows that it does not bother me much anymore. 


Here is a detail showing how much I built up the surface on this one. I used silk cocoons and wool neps and burs for the rocks.


This is what the layout looked like before I wet felted it.


Here it is after wet felting and before I did any needle felting.


I did more dyeing of wool and silk. I found I needed more grays after doing the previous landscape that I posted about last time. Here is what I came up with.


I also did some pokeberry dyeing. I was not really successful but I got some interesting results.


The silk was from the first batch I did which I over cooked. The locks took the color from the second batch but even after many times rinsing they are still loosing color so the jury is still out.


Somehow I managed to get this grey silk and pink roving from the same pot. I was trying to follow Carol Leigh's instructions to see if I could get a more lasting color since color from many berries is very fugitive. I found it interesting that pokeberry ink was used to write the Constitution of the United States and it is still legible though the color faded to brown. 
My friend Joei came over so we could go to the New York Sheep and Wool festival in Rhinebeck and while she was here we played with doing collage nuno felt landscapes. I didn't like mine so I turned it into a small clutch.



I have been felting some small pieces to sell for the holidays since I have a few more shows to do. Here is a sampling.


And now I will sign off as the sudden gusts of wind cause the windows in this room to make crackling noises, which causes my heart to beat faster. Time to do some felting to get the adrenaline out...maybe down in the basement ;)





3 comments:

  1. Stay safe, your felting is beautiful, i really love your felt piece for the show, your flowers and purses are gorgeous to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recent landscape is beautiful! I love the setting and your texture is fabulous.

    Fortunately we can still felt in a hurricane!I got power back just last night and will go pull my fabric from the dye pots now... after 5 days I think they are "done".

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliments.
    We were fine here, just a few strong gusts of wind and some rain and no power loss. I am very grateful especially after seeing photos of all the loss and heartache.
    Carol,I hope you post photos of those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete