Friday, April 15, 2011

Pushing Through

I have avoided writing a post in the hopes that my spirits would improve. I am trying hard not to be a 'Negative Nancy' but this depression does not seem to be easing. I am still waiting to see if some improved weather will help. A friend pointed out to me that we have had a lot of cloudy cold weather that is more like November which is typically a down time for me. I always feel a bit better on sunny days. There have also been some difficult times with family so it is not all chemical but if things don't improve soon I may need to change meds. I have been busy too and even the good things can be stressful and stress causes the delicate balance of mental health to go out of whack.
Here are photos of some of the things that I have been busy with. I was very lucky to be picked in the guild lottery to take the Illuminated Felt workshop with Sharon Costello. I was still inspired by the forms forms we saw at the bulb show.



Since there are wires in the leaf/petals the shape can be altered.
 I liked it enough that I started another one when I got home.  


It is straighter than it looks here.


I love the light that these lamps give off.
Next I had the guild meeting. Unfortunately I was not with it enough to take photos. We had a really good presentation on mounting, framing, showing, and conservation of textiles given by Robin Blakney-Carlson and her sister Susan Blakney
I had an exhibit submission deadline the following week that I was going to submit an existing piece to but then decided I didn't like any of those enough so I would make a new piece. I didn't like that one either so in the end I did not submit any thing. The piece I made could be added to so that it would work better but it lacks a focal point, so it will be added to the pile of unfinished landscapes. 

That week I also hosted two friends who were taking Andrea Graham's pods class at New England Felting Supply. After we had dinner they continued to work on their pieces. I was going to do some more stitching on my woods lamp but I could not watch them wet felting and not play too. So I made this weird thing.


I had a one day craft show after that and made this while Vicki took care of the booth. (I had told her we could do the craft show if she took care of everything so all I had to do was 'be there'. She did a really good job).


 The funny thing was how well they fit together with no intention on my part.


Tomorrow I teach at New England Felting Supply but then I have a nice stretch of time without anything on the calendar during which I plan on playing with fibers and taking care of myself.




5 comments:

  1. I like all the pieces here.I think there is a subtle focal point in the picture you showed....to me, it is the light shinning through water . There are some mysteries black images off to the left side that suggest fish swimming towards the light . Maybe it is just how my brain works but it gives the impression of a freeze frame of a movie as I imagine the fish swimming towards the light so I can get a better look at them .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lights. The petal one is very lovely. I like the underwater piece. I think you could make 3D fish ... or plants.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful, I love what you've done.. esp your illuminated petal piece... wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olá sou portuguesa e comecei há pouco na feltragem e adoro os seus candeeiros,pergunto, junta algo na feltragem para as peças se manterem em pé? Obrigada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Flower lamp has wire in the petals. The felt was made with the wire in place. The other lamp the felt fabric is sewn onto the wood frame. Thank you.

      Delete